Thursday, February 18, 2010

Help!!! I just tried to clean some stains off of my slate floor that I thought were paint drips.?

I tried ';goof Off'; and now I have a large area that discolored. The floor is black slate and the spot is white. What can I do to fix it??? Any suggestions to clean and shine an old slate entry foyer? I am trying to sell my house and I can't afford to spend much more money on the house. Thanks for your suggestions.Help!!! I just tried to clean some stains off of my slate floor that I thought were paint drips.?
Grab some hot water and an old toothbrush, and scrub, scrub, scrub. The white sounds like the paint dissolved and might be able to be scrubbed up. Just keep an eye on the slate as you are cleaning it, slate has a habit of flaking so try and avoid further damage.





Natural surfaces are very difficult to clean, and you should not use anything other than hot water on them. A little dish soap, well rinsed will take up most spots.





Natural slate shouldn't look shinny, and most people looking at a home will admire the natural stone and know that it shouldn't be really shinny.





If you are set on shinning the floor, go to your local hardware or flooring store and buy a product designed for use on slate.Help!!! I just tried to clean some stains off of my slate floor that I thought were paint drips.?
This is very bad.


Slate is a natural stone, like granite and marble. You cannot simply use Goo-Gone on a porous surface like slate.





There are products at Home Depot and Lowe's designed for natural stone. You will have to go there and get natural stone cleaners and then a natural stone sealer.
If you spill paint (latex or oil based) one thing you do NOT want to do is use a solvent on it because it will cause the spot to liquify and spread the stain even wider as you try to wipe it dry. What you really need to do is to sprape the HELLLL out of it until about 90% of it has been removed. You can use a razor blade, X-acto-type razor blade knife with a sharp point or something of that type. Be careful to not leave any gouges or stratches that cannot be hidden later. Then get the vacume cleaner to suck up all the debris. After that you can carefull use a ';Zip-Strip'; type of paint remover. Allow it to soak into the stain and then carefully dry it up with a Q-Tips and don't spread the stain out wider than it already is. After that, you will have to carefully wash it and allow it to dry. If there is discoloration you may have to purchase a special dye or spot concealed designed for stone. I was lucky because after I cleaned a stain off of marble years ago, I used some Kiwi shoe dye on my black marble which seemed to match perfectly. Check at Lowe's, Home Depot or other hardware stores for the dyes and touch up spot consealers, or contact a store who specializes in tile and stone floors or countertops. Be sure to use a good sealer to prevent stains such as this from happening in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment