Monday, February 22, 2010

What can I do if my neighbor painted their side of a shared fence and it dripped onto my side over the top?

We just shared in the cost of a brand new fence with the neighbor, and they painted their side today, which is fine, except it dripped onto our side which makes the fence look terrible. We went over to stop them from doing it, but we only got them to stop on half the fence. They did nothing to let us know they were painting it and it might drip. They did nothing to remedy the problem. We put paint stripper on the fence and it just smeared the paint into the wood which made it worse! What can I do? Do I have any legal rights? Is it graffiti? Help please! Thank you!What can I do if my neighbor painted their side of a shared fence and it dripped onto my side over the top?
If you like the color than ask them if they had any paint left over to match the color or paint your side.


If you don't...knock on their door again, calmly ask what they plan to do to fix the issue.


Good Luck! :)What can I do if my neighbor painted their side of a shared fence and it dripped onto my side over the top?
The fence belongs to someone. I do not see how it would be considered a 'shared' fence. You could contact your city/county surveyor and have them decide whose the fence belongs to. This is a civil matter. Before you would take it to small claims court, you would need to prove to the judge whose the fence belongs to.
If you just shared the cost of a new fence with your neighbor, wouldn't it be worth painting your side too? I think it would be worth it to keep things peaceful.
Ask what color of paint they are using and paint your side. It is the easiest of all solutions. Your side of the fence will look as nice as their side.*
Forget about it, You better get along with your neighbor in case you need someone to cover your *** in time of trouble.
I would paint my side as well and drop it. Its not worth a feud.
Did it drip on the ground, the grass or concrete? Grass will be simple to fix, just let it grow and cut it. Concrete will be more costly.





What if you paint your side of the fence a different color and it drips on their side?





Property line fences are a cat and dog fight, sometimes. You really need to contact a lawyer regarding this issue. And, I'm not sure what your issue is as I'm not sure what you want?





A matter of paint splatters is something I wouldn't call graffiti. Would a judge call it that? I don't know? Would Judge Judy? She'd certainly run her mouth about it and then probably shut up.





Bottom line is do you have damages? Are they enough to ask for repayment? And, are they enough to make a bad neighbor.





Personally, if it's on the grass, I'd just paint my side of the fence whatever color I decided. If it bleeded over, you'd have every right to say the same thing happened when they painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment