Thursday, February 11, 2010

My walls have yellow/orange drip marks around our stove and our humidifier, should I suspect lead paint?

You need a maid.My walls have yellow/orange drip marks around our stove and our humidifier, should I suspect lead paint?
I used to live in an apartment that had this issue, and it was because the former tenants were smokers. The best way to solve the problem is to give the walls a good wash (something like TSP), then repaint. You might even want to prime the wall before you repaint. I washed my walls a lot, and still whenever there was high humidity, the walls would get those yellow/orange drip marks. If you/your family are smoke in the house, the problem will only get worse.My walls have yellow/orange drip marks around our stove and our humidifier, should I suspect lead paint?
Lead paint doesn't give you any outward signs. I suspect grease and grime. It sounds like it just needs to be cleaned with a good strong solution that disolves grease. The stuff around the humidifier is most likely just from condensation of the water and when mixed with what's in the air it will make yellowish-looking drip marks. If you smoke in the house, that could also be contributing to the color, but it can happen even in a smoke-free house. Happy cleaning!
If you are going to ask a question give more details so we can answer properly


go to a Paint store and get a lead test kit
well the drip marks by your stove is probably grease. use a degeaser to clean it. it would depend on where your humidifier is to tell what it is. if in doubt then get a lead test kit
Suspect a leak somewhere in either the plumbing, the walls or the roof.
Drips themselves won't give you any indication of lead-based paint. The only way to know for sure is to have it tested at an approved lab. Is it lead? How old is the home (or the paint)? Houses built prior to 1978 stand a good chance of having lead-based paint. This link gives a good explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment