Thursday, February 18, 2010

I've been painting my window and door frames wth non-drip gloss white paint. Should I have use satin instead

I've been painting window and door frames with non-drip gloss but am now left thinking I should've used satin instead as it seems too glossy. Paint isn't cheap and am now hesitant to paint the doors with same tin.I've been painting my window and door frames wth non-drip gloss white paint. Should I have use satin instead
It's all personal taste, but traditionally, walls are painted in a matte finish (except kitchens and bathrooms which need a satin or gloss finish to be washable) and doors, door/window trim, base boards and crown molding are painted in a gloss. This way there is contrast from the walls, giving the room more visual interest. It also makes doors washable as they are ';high traffic'; areas. (Grubby paw prints from the kiddies and pets!!)





If your house is old, I would stick with the traditional style so that your finishes are in keeping with the architecture of your house. If your house is new, anything goes.





Maybe if you are unsure about the doors, you should put the job on hold for a few days and live with the trim to see if it grows on you.





I personally LOVE glossy doors and trim, and totally disagree with the statement above that they ';deaden'; the room.





Good Luck! I'm about to repaint my whole house, so I feel your


pain(t) !!!I've been painting my window and door frames wth non-drip gloss white paint. Should I have use satin instead
Satin or flat would have been better. Glossy is too shiny for my taste.
Do you think the weather will change if it stays like this?
There is no rule which says you must paint woodwork white, or strip it, or color it to merge with the walls. In a room whose walls, window frames and doors are in the same neutral color, you could paint the skirting board a clear contrasting color.





This will define the line between the floor and walls. Trim colors that contrast with walls and ceilings might suit your style in one room, while a more subtle color change might be right somewhere else in the house.





You can liven up plain, flat walls by adding moldings so as to create panels around the room. For best results, make sure you keep your working area within the proper temperature range recommended for the paint.





All interior woodwork that has been stripped, from baseboard to dining room tables, needs to be primed with either a standard acrylic wood primer. After that you can paint on it with oil-based flat eggshell, gloss, or acrylic paints.





Most interior woodwork looks best in an eggshell finish, as high-gloss paint can have a rather bleak, deadening effect. If your plan is to paint walls, ceiling, and trim, then it鈥檚 best to get the trim painted first, along with the room鈥檚 windows and doors. Paint woodwork in small sections. Keeping a wet edge to avoid lap marks.





A wide range of broken-color effects work well on woodwork, but ideally you should use oil-based paints as latex has little durability on wood. Stains add color to wood while allowing its natural grain pattern to show through.





Varnishes are clear finishes that form a tough coating over stain. They are available in a range of finish sheens from satin to high gloss. At the end of a project, combine all of the leftover paint of the same color into as few cans as possible.
Once it dries, it won't look quite so shiny and glossy. I think you used the right type.
Well, author Roger King has either been living in a cave or that was written a long time ago. Gloss paint on trim and doors is coming back into fashion and is much easier to wash down when need arises. Water based latex paints are very durable on wood surfaces as long as you prime first. I have always thought that gloss paint adds a little dimension to a look. Go to HGTV and see what they are showing (that's where I saw the new trend for high gloss on doors and trim). But it basically comes down to personal preference and it's important that you enjoy your own home.
get some eggshell finish easy to apply looks great .trust me I'm a decorator
I PAINTED ALL MY WOOD TRIM, FRAMES, DOORS AND WALLS IN FLAT LATEX THE SAME COLOR IN THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND IT LOOKS GREAT. I WANTED THE ACCESSORIES AND FURNITURE TO HAVE CENTER STAGE NOT THE PAINT. I LOVE THE WAY MY PAINT TURNED OUT BUT I SEE NO REASON WHY YOUR GLOSS WOULDN'T BE EVERY BIT AS NICE. SOMEHOW I DON'T THINK ANYTHING IS GOING TO LOOK DEAD. I DO THINK THAT IF YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE THE GLOSS TO FLAT OR SATIN YOU SHOULD CONSIDER PAINTING THE DOORS AND WINDOWS THE SAME. IT'S JUST MY OPINION BUT I DON'T THINK GLOSS ON ONE AND FLAT ON THE OTHER WOULD LOOK TOO GOOD. I TOO AM ABOUT TO START PAINTING AND DON'T ENVY YOU! GOOD LUCK!
it doesnt matter what you used...use it and if you didn't like the results then just change it...it doesn't take much time or effort...just be stress free and happy

No comments:

Post a Comment