Thursday, February 18, 2010

I dripped red Oil Paint on an off-white sweater. Any ideas of the best way to [try to] get it out?

I have tried paint thinner but am nervous about ruining the fabric. That is about all I have tried for now.I dripped red Oil Paint on an off-white sweater. Any ideas of the best way to [try to] get it out?
You might try ';The Masters Brush Cleaner.'; It is available at most art supply stores or you can get it online from Dick Blick or Utrecht. I have had success getting dried oil paint out of brushes with it. I have never gotten dried oil paint out of fabric before. My sister (also an artist) says that her clothes fall down the 'food chain,' that is, they start out good clothes, then she gets paint on them and they become studio clothes, then finally rags to clean brushes with.I dripped red Oil Paint on an off-white sweater. Any ideas of the best way to [try to] get it out?
I would NOT advise putting water on a fabric to get out oil paint. That is just gonna create a huge mess. If it was acrilyic then that would be fine but with Oil you need to use something else. Paint thinner would normally be your best bet. However If I am not mistaken there is a product made specifically for getting oil paint out of fabric. Try going to your local art and crafts store to find a product or to ask one of the sales people they should know.
try hairspray. i know it works for ink i don't know about paint though. this is not a joke.
Red paint on a whitish cloth is a nightmare in terms of trying to get rid of the stain. I'd try to use a brush cleaner cake solution and try to scrub it in with a bristol brush. Try to get it while it's still wet. You don't need to use thinner - just use water.

No comments:

Post a Comment