Thursday, February 11, 2010

Why did the paint drip when I tried spray painting my car?

I sanded the old paint with 320 grit sand paper then washed off the surface. Then when I started spraying on the new paint it seemed like the paint wasn't sticking very well at all, it just started running down the side of the car. I waited for that paint to dry, sanded it and tried again and it did the same thing. I wasn't holding the can too close and I don't think I was going too slow. I think there may have been something wrong with the paint. I never painted a car before.Why did the paint drip when I tried spray painting my car?
you were spraying it to heavy on you have to spray it lightly and then repeat after each coat drys if you spray it to close or to thick the first coat it will run you can't hold the sprayer to close nor spray the area to heavy both will cause this. and you don't spray constantly it's more like hit n stop like spray a line let off come back to the line beginning hit spray then stop and keep repeating don't go back and forth and keep spraying itWhy did the paint drip when I tried spray painting my car?
Did you use primer before you sprayed?


If you did you held the spray can to close to the work surface.


This causes the paint to run. Maby you went to fast when spraying this causes runs also. IN spray painting you have to


keep an even distance from your work %26amp; don't spray in a sweeping montion you spray from side to side in one stedy


motion.
Did you use primer? Most paints won't stick to cars very well without primer.





If you did and it still drips then you are putting it on too thick and gravity is taking over. You will need to make 4-5 light passes to get it to turn out ok.





Let the paint fully dry between passes. Remember in car painting the longer you take the better it looks and the longer it lasts. A quick and dirty job will LOOK quick and dirty.
you probably got to close to it or the spray was to thick you have to apply it in thin coats not heavy coats,it will literally drip off in the floor when its sprayed on too thick ,even temperature can affect the way it sprays,good luck.
you did not use tape probably .you need to put the tape on the edge, plus don't hold the can so close.
if the weather wasnt right, it will run, especially if its humid or its raining.
You were putting it on too thick. It isn't a good idea to try to paint a car with spray cans.
Your probably to close
u shouldnt be washing the surface down.. you should be wiping the residue off with acetone
too much too quick
you don't use spray paint on a car!!

No comments:

Post a Comment