Thursday, February 18, 2010

How can I remove dry drips of cement off my car without ruining the paint? Did the car wash but still there?

I assume you mean cement as in the stuff you make mortar and concrete with; not cement the other sort of glue.





Bricklayers remove cement from bricks with hydrochloric acid (spirits of salts) solution.





I wouldn't use that on a car; but vinegar or maybe lemon juice COULD work.





They won't completely dissolve the cement but will start the process of dissolving the outside surface, which hopefully will be enough as one would hope that the vinegar would seep along the edge under the splodge.





TEST it on a sample piece that is well hidden to make sure first. How long will it take? Dunno - trial and error.





Do not use any bottled acids - most would be far too strong and could damage the paint surface.How can I remove dry drips of cement off my car without ruining the paint? Did the car wash but still there?
My shop use to get these every once in a while from cars in underground parking structures...best method is to use Lime-Away....spray it on the drips, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off...repeat as necessary til it's all gone...you may have to pick at the drip with a fingernail or dull knife. Won't hurt the finish....rewax when done. ';CLR'; product might work too...hardware stores or home centers carry them.How can I remove dry drips of cement off my car without ruining the paint? Did the car wash but still there?
There's no magical soultion. There's no gurantee. I worked in a body shop for a long time. The easiest way is to take your thumb, put your nail to flat side of the paint and push against the cement. Just bump it off. If that doesn't work or if your vehicle is coated with cement (not just a small splatter here and there) then you have real problems and may have to get the vehicle recleared.

No comments:

Post a Comment